Thursday, March 31, 2011

My State Rep. Supports HB6599 - Does Yours?

I wrote earlier about the importance of passing HB6599 - "An Act Concerning Discrimination" - so that transgender people in Connecticut can be protected against discrimination in employment, education, housing, public accommodations and credit.

I wrote an email to my state representative, Jonathan Steinberg, saying as much.  He wrote back to me, expressing his support for the bill:

I agree with you that we must address this gap in our anti-discrimination laws. Transgender individuals deserve the same rights as any other citizen of the state. I'm hopeful that this bill will pass during this session.

I am happy to see that my elected legislator supports enacting legal protections for transgender people.  However, we need more Connecticut lawmakers to support this bill: the State House Judiciary Committee is postponing action on the bill until it gains more supporters, and they say they will take it up again by the committee deadline of April 15.

If you live in Connecticut, please contact your state representative TODAY and tell him or her to support HB6599.  Our friends in the transgender community need our help.  Find out who represents you in the Connecticut State House here.

No comments:

Post a Comment