As yesterday was Thanksgiving, my house was filled with the sweet aromas of turkey roasting in the oven, sweet potatos baking, and my grandmother's Italian Wedding Soup simmering away on the stove. My relatives from all over the Northeast came to our house to celebrate and eat way too much (as is the tradition in many American homes), and it was a beautiful autumn day to catch up with family and enjoy some of our favorite holiday treats.
Due to the introspective, sentimental nature of the holiday, I decided to take the opportunity to think long and hard about what I was thankful for this year. Ultimately, I came up with a list of "Ten Things I'm Thankful For," and posted each one on Facebook throughout the day. Here is my list:
1. I’m thankful for the friends I still keep in touch with here in Westport – they keep me grounded and remind me that there is always someone behind me every step of the way. “You’re angels, all of you.”
2. I’m thankful for my hilarious, if somewhat "unique," family for giving me a warm and kind place to come home to whenever I need it most.
3. I’m thankful for the friends I made at college who made the past four years quite an adventure. I’m graduating in just a few weeks and will miss those good times.
4. I'm thankful for this delicious food - nothing beats an Italian thanksgiving. Bon appetite!
5. I'm thankful for the awesome new apartment I found right by the office with two really friendly housemates. Can't wait to move!
6. I'm thankful for Vanessa Carlton, KT Tunstall, Lady Gaga, Enya, P!nk, and so many other strong, brilliant, beautiful artists who always keep me inspired.
7. I’m thankful for getting to live my dream of working on Capitol Hill. Since 2006 I’ve wanted to work on the Hill and I can finally say I’ve achieved that goal and am enjoying every minute of it.
8. I’m thankful for all of the incredible opportunities I have had – studying in DC, trips to Disney World, a semester in London, and all of the other things that have made life special. I’m especially thankful to my parents, without whom I wouldn’t have had most of those experiences.
9. I’m thankful to God for giving me all that I have, and in particular for touching my soul this past semester and showing me the beauty of this life. As my mother said tonight, “We took a couple of hits this year, but we are lucky for all of the people sitting around this table – and so we count our blessings, and we thank God.”
10. Lastly, I’m thankful for this warm bed, and the roof over my head, and all of the things that we here take for granted – so many people will sleep on sidewalks and park benches tonight. “There but for the Grace of God I go.” Goodnight one and all, and a very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
What about you all out there in the blogosphere - what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Speaking of things I'm thankful for, check this out: Those who know me well know that Vanessa Carlton and KT Tunstall are two of my favorite singers ever. Well here they are, singing a duet of Carlton's new single "I Don't Want to Be a Bride." It's almost too good to be true... but it is.
Pastor Scott Lively Files For Dismissal With First Circuit Court Of Appeals - Scott Lively has filed a demand that his trial for crimes against humanity be suspended while he pursues a dismissal with the First Circuit Court of Appea...
10 minutes ago